Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Replace/Remove Wormhole P FTL Drive
Currently a LOT of players accidentally make their first starship with a Wormhole P FTL Drive, and are then confused about why they can't return to their home system after going through a one way wormhole connection.

I suggest making the Wormhole PN FTL Drive the default/first, and then change Wormhole P FTL Drive into something else.
For example you could rename it to Wormhole P+ FTL Drive and make it cheaper to make and operate than the normal Wormhole PN FTL Drive. Or something like that.
Or simply remove the Wormhole P FTL Drive altogether.
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Actually, why do we have a P FTL drive ? A one-way wormhole drive isn't useful for me, I directly used the PNN (or replaced it on a ship with P drive).
Yeah, I like the idea of maybe give space fighters a one-way wormhole FTL drive. But for spacecraft it just feels silly.
You could also just rename it "Wormhole Positive Only", but I agree it is not the most useful tech, except to slow down your progress.

Some games have "preparatory" techs which don't really do anything in themselves, like Civilization's preliminary rocket research. You can think of it like that, but the oddity is then that you can actually put it on your ship.
The main issue is that it is by default selected when you design a new starship. So a lot of new players are confused after accidentally using it.
Bump.
Maybe I should have made this a bug report?

Simplest fix is to just remove the Wormhole P FTL Drive. All spacecraft that currently have a P drive should be changed to a PN drive.

Also if you want to make the PNN drive to be more advanced, you can make it require some advanced tool, like Nanopath Calibrator or whatever.
Yeah, the drive needs attention. the current tech makes it just a stepping stone and one many are confused by. Unless we're going to prompt players with info about the limits of the drive AND add a reason it's required before we can build the PN or PNN then it needs removed. Added focus of the AND as both info for the player supplied in game, AND a limit for the next drive beyond a patent are required for the exsistance of the drive to make sense from a game design and play point.
We are the Dreadknought Conspiracy. Please discard all further questions.