Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O'Neill Cylinders
[Image: hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCPYBEIoBSFXyq4...e57yMJxv7Q]
Isaac Arthur - O'Neill Cylinders

We currently have ringworlds, which we can find randomly spread out across the galaxies. But they can't have been the only mega-structures that survived the test of time.

I simply propose O'Neill Cylinders as a new rare planet type. Allowing them to rarely spawn in place of planets. Or rarely a system could have no planets and instead have a number of O'Neill Cylinders orbiting the star, similar to a ringworld system.

Since they are kinda an inverted world, landing a spacecraft in them is the biggest issue I see. Either they are so big that a spacecraft can fly in through holes in the ends of the cylinder and land like normal, or they only allow you to get in via external docking ports with turbo lifts that take you inside.

What do you guys think? How do you think O'Neill Cylinders could work in Hazeron? Would they even have a use?
Hazeron Forum and Wiki Moderator
hazeron.com/wiki/User:Deantwo
Photo 
I think it'd be pretty cool, although maybe it's more of something to add later down the line, rather than right now.

It seems like a lot of designs for them have long strips of open wall. This, for example, is a pretty good picture. If it had a strip or two along the entire length, it'd be pretty easy for ships to get in, rather than needing to go all the way around to the ends, or fuck with turbo lifts. Or perhaps some might have strips and some might only have endholes, for variety.

Landing would definitely still be a challenge if it actually rotates, but given that gravity drive technology is a thing, it might not have to rotate at all.

The REAL question is, when are we going to get dyson spheres?  :)
(06-02-2018, 07:51 PM)Minty Wrote: It seems like a lot of designs for them have long strips of open wall. This, for example, is a pretty good picture. If it had a strip or two along the entire length, it'd be pretty easy for ships to get in, rather than needing to go all the way around to the ends, or fuck with turbo lifts. Or perhaps some might have strips and some might only have endholes, for variety.
You mean the "windows"?
[Image: 220px-Spacecolony3edit.jpeg]
Assuming that the cylinder is spinning and not using another form of artificial gravity, entering through the windows would likely be really hard.

(06-02-2018, 07:51 PM)Minty Wrote: The REAL question is, when are we going to get dyson spheres?  :)
If you ask Isaac, you would likely make a Dyson Swarm with O'Neill Cylinders. But making that many worlds in one solar system in Hazeron would likely be a bad idea. Not to mention that they would likely just be like habitable ringworld arc worlds, so it isn't that interesting to have a swarm of them.

As for an actual Dyson Sphere, what would it be used for in Hazeron? Sure it would be freaking awesome to see, but I can't think of a good purpose for it.
(06-02-2018, 10:34 PM)Deantwo Wrote: Assuming that the cylinder is spinning and not using another form of artificial gravity, entering through the windows would likely be really hard.

Depends how big it is.  The bigger the cylinder, the slower it needs to spin.  RPM = 30/pi * sqrt( g/r )

A cylinder with a 1 km radius would need to spin at 0.95 RPM to simulate Earth gravity.  Not hard to deal with; that's slightly slower than the second-hand on a clock. You could drop the speed down to 0.3 RPM by giving it a 10 km radius, if you don't mind it being planet-sized by Hazeron standards.
Not directly related to the idea in this thread, but still want to share this.

I have been messing around with VRChat a bunch lately. I don't have a VR headset or anything, so I am just using the desktop version on Steam.
There I found a world that is literally just a giant O'Neill Cylinder!

Here it is:
[Image: World-test-Image-2018420f1_4_sta.file_12...d17d.5.png]
Space Colony "Island-4" by S_ASAGIRI